Friday, August 25, 2006

Travel

Guess what!!
I took my written driver’s test today and passed. I am scheduled to take my driving test on Monday morning at 8 am. That is the day we move to Negishi, so there is a chance that I may be able to rent a car and drive instead of taking all my luggage on the train and bus. Chances are slim, but it’s possible. I am excited about it, but really nervous. The roads are very different here, but if I can do it anyone can! Danny and I aren’t planning on buying a car anytime soon though. It is really expensive to drive around and gas is a little more expensive. The quickest ways are usually the toll road and they are expensive too. Public transportation is best.
Speaking of public transportation, Danny and I have had lots of experiences with it. The traveling we have done so far has been fantastic. We have gone to Shibuya (a trendy place popular with young people on the outskirts of Tokyo), Negishi housing, and into town here in Yokosuka. My first train trip was to Shibuya. The train stations are really busy, but once you figure them out there are really easy to use. Most signs are in Japanese and English. The information spoken on the train speakers is English when you get on the trains that travel to Tokyo. There are generally three types of trains: black kanji, red kangi and green kanji. (Don’t quote me on that!) Basically they are separated into local, express and super express. The local stop at every station whereas the express have only a few stops. To get to Shibuya we had to transfer trains. There was a really nice woman in Shinagawa who noticed that our directions were in English and asked to make sure we knew where we were going. We ate lunch there; I didn’t know what I was eating and the waitress didn’t speak English to us, but it was fun anyway.
Once we got to Shibuya Danny and I walked around the city. It was VERY busy and hot. They have these crosswalks where all traffic lights turn red and it is an organized free for all on crosswalks in the middle of the intersection. Like a fish fighting upstream… There is one really awesome shopping store talked Tokyu Hands. I have heard it described as a multileveled store with stuff for every hobby and interest. That is true. I found some great stuff.
After walking around a while we met Kana and Yuichi at a well known meeting spot outside the train station. We did more walking around and shopping in stores. For dinner we went to what I assume to be an authentic Japanese restaurant (not that I can imagine anything in Japan not being authentic Japanese!) It was fun because Kana and Yuichi could order for us and we got to try an incredible collection on Japanese food. Danny loved it all and we all laughed when I told Kana and Yuichi he was like Kirby. :-)
We have made a few trips to Yokosuka in the last week and a half. We went and got me a pink cell phone. Because Danny already had a phone and plan with the company I got my phone for free. Making calls can be really expensive, but it is the only phone we have right now. We can also send messages back and forth for pretty cheap. Like I said before, I will post how to call my cell phone if you would like. Incoming calls are free, but I’ll double check to see if international calls are free. I will also have a home phone fairly soon so you will be able to call us there as well. Of course, you can’t expect to call and assume Danny will be home!
More about Yokosuka… there are two malls that we regularly go to. The biggest has many restaurants and even a grocery store. Of course there are many other regular stores, including a 100 yen store. Those stores are great because they have a much bigger selection than the dollar stores in the states and the merchandise is s much better quality. We went to that grocery store last night and Danny bought a few things. The cashier, a woman likely in her mid 40s, knew we didn’t speak English. The grocery stores have a different system than the states. The scan things and move them from one basket to another, you have to bag them yourself after you pay. The cahier held up a large grocery back asking if it was the size he wanted. He said “hai” (yes) very forcefully. It surprised her so much that she started laughing. She told him that he could speak quieter and in English. He was just so excited about grocery bags! :-) I found this so hilarious that I had to tell everyone. Just remember that you read it before Danny comes in and erases it!
Whew! I am tired of typing. I look forward to hearing your comments and feedback. Until later... Sayonara!

No comments:

Post a Comment