Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Quest for Perfection

The job of a mother and homemaker is the hardest job in the world. I think I could switch roles with a CEO of any major corporation in the world and they'd be begging for their job back by the end of the day. Love for my little one makes it easier, but my perception of how things should be and what other moms think is something I battle everyday.

Moms today are expected to be perfect. Our children must be clean, well-behaved, well-educated, polite, and extremely healthy. It's all on mom's shoulders to get it right. Pressure on mom goes back to the beginning of time. In the 1000's of years humans have walked the earth the pressure has evolved from protecting your children from wild animals and diseases to social networking predators and processed foods.

The age of the internet had helped create a bond between mothers and much as it's ripped us apart. (Add to that, being 1000s of miles from your family and you have a recipe for disaster. Something I'd know nothing about...) The same moms that offer support in the hard times are also the ones that tote organic diets and "I completely potty trained my child in 24 hours!" Most of this mom attacking is unintentional, but women have a tendency to want to one up each other. We use our children to show how great we are. In my unprofessional opinion, moms that do this often are likely insecure about their own identity and "greatness". I'm not saying there is anything wrong with either of these examples, but there is a problem with bragging about it.

Every book, magazine or internet article I read reminds me of the places where I am failing my child. Let's forget she's loved, safe, and secure. In the eyes of the media, that means I'm smothering her and setting her up for failure later in life. Oh, and her favorite foods are chicken nuggets, macaroni & cheese, and apple juice. *gasp* They all have meat, dairy and are processed. And guess who is to blame for ruining her child's health? Yup, that would be mom. If the child grows up to be a crazed serial killer or politician, blame mom.

Every time I read something like this, all I can think about is how I am a failure. My family should eat more or less of this certain food. We should exercise more, watch less tv, so on and so on and so on. Each reminder chips away a little piece of my sanity. We are an average family. I am on my quest for perfection because I feel nothing I do is ever enough and no matter how many times I try, I will fail. I hate failure. I can't live up to my own standard or the ones I perceive others have for me. This kind of thinking slowly gnaws at your soul and it's hard to escape.

I'm not condoning it in any way, but no wonder moms go ballistic and drive their kids into a lake. The pressure to be perfect is absurd. Some of us are more sensitive to it, but I can't imagine there isn't a mom out there who hasn't worried that their child doesn't have the right friends, clothes, books, diet, education, parents, etc. I suppose we should be grateful that these are the worst things we have to worry about.

I am still fighting this battle. I know I'll never be perfect and my family never will be either. Knowing I'm not doing absolutely everything I can to make us all the best is hard to come to terms with. I don't have answers for my problems. All I can do is remind myself everyday that I am a good mom; not the best, not perfect, but not failing either.

4 comments:

  1. I believe we all worry too much about what others think. You have to know that you are doing the best you can do. Melanie is growing up in this world and becoming part of the human race. We are not perfect and there isn't anyone who can really say that they are. Don't let anyone judge you or your family. You know right from wrong so trust yourself that way you can't fail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Society's attempt to convince every mom of the need to be perfect is right in line with the need of every woman to achieve the perfect figure and look, every man to be the perfect provider and every student to be a perfect 4.0 attending the perfect Ivy League college. All unattainable by almost everyone. You have a beautiful, healthy, happy daughter, a husband who loves you and considers you and Melanie his entire world. You have a life many would admire and can only hope to achieve. You are an amazing woman, wife and mother. And let's face it, if you WERE perfect, everyone would hate you. Honestly, that's the only reason I allow myself faults. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This trying to be perfect has gone on for years. You aren't old enough to remember the burn your bra, get out and get a job instead of a stay at home no account mother! They made us feel so guilty for staying home, however I did know where my kids were (most of the time) and it paid for itself when my oldest would have died from a bee sting, we didn't know he was allergic to bees, if I had not been home to rush him to the doctor. At that point I said up yours folks, my family comes first! I made many mistakes raising my boys, do i wish I could do it over....you bet! Don't let guilt eat you up, do what you think it right and to hell with the rest of the world. Of course it never ends you know, now I sit around feeling guilty about not being the perfect grandma and great grandma, and probably some day a guilty great great grandma. But is it really guilt or love that makes us feel this way? Maybe we just want everything to be perfect for the ones we love. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. <3 I wouldn't ask for a better Grandmother.

    ReplyDelete