Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Hardly made it to Jan. 17th

Things never work out quite the way you want them to. I had a decent day yesterday. Danny made it home kind of late and was so tired that he had to go to bed early. We don't usually go to bed until 9, but last night I think he was asleep before then.
My phone rang at about 10 o'clock. It was my boss for English teaching. He just wanted to tell me that my last student wanted to continue regular lessons in about two weeks. So, I was happy about that but mad he called me at 10 pm. When my phone rang, Danny sat straight up in bed. I told him it was just my boss and he laid back down. I don't even think he woke up to begin with. He is pretty scary and disoriented when he is startled while sleeping!
Anyway, we both were asleep and this time Danny's phone rang at about 11:45. Neither of us realized it was his phone ringing. I assumed it was his alarm for 430 until I heard a man's voice. Danny realized it was someone on his ship. There was a recall (everyone had to come back to the ship). I'll explain more later about why this really sucks. So, we got up and dressed and had to drive to Yokosuka at midnight last night. I drank a bunch of coffee and couldn't get back to sleep until about 330. I ignored my alarm when it went off at 830 and finally woke up at 930. I have a lesson today and my back is increadibly stiff.
Well, on the "bright" side I went to the Elementary school yesterday. Mr. Fisher (the principal) told me he wanted me to work as the school nurse while she was on maternity leave (about 6 weeks). Holy crap. I'm not qualified, but I'm doing it anyway. I can handle the little injuries so I think I will be okay. I am pretty scared and nervous, but I will get a few days of paid training before I start. I will work full 6 hour days from the beginning of February until the middle of March.

Wish I had more to tell about Danny, but most of what I want to tell I can't. He is working as Communication Officer now though I think he is technically still in the transition stage between his old job and his new one. His new job is pretty tough, but I think he will enjoy it. It is hard to say while they are in port. I'll try to see what kind of information I can pry out of him and try to share it with you.
Heres to another Wednesday...

2 comments:

  1. Sorry dear, but I really cracked up about you being the school nurse. Let's hope all the kids are healthy and only skin their knees.

    I imagine Danny gets really jumpy about the phone calls in the middle of the night, I can sure see why. It can be pretty scary.

    I thought of you today when the USS Stennis left Bremerton for 6 to 8 months and it was snowing and the girls on the dock were freezing to death, I'm sure some probably didn't even make it down to wave goodby, because the roads were really bad. Anyhow when you have a bad day, remember it could always be worse.

    How is Mocha doing? I hope she is better.

    Love you both,
    Gram

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just thinking how the kids will think Lori is so competent and knowledgeable.... our "outsides" look so much different from our "insides." You should be very good at it. Shouldn't be any major emergencies while you're on duty. :-)

    Sorry about the midnight call and early departure. Lots of questions.... but know you can't answer.

    Gramma T.

    ReplyDelete