Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Help me please

I can't talk to a vet about this because he is backed up and can't figure out what Mocha's problem is.
She is 6 months old and hasn't been fixed yet. Since she started adjusting to our house, she has been a vocal cat. She meows if I look at her, call her name, or if I am in the kitchen. At night it is the worst. The last few days have been especially bad. She roams around the house at about two in the morning and howls like someone is killing her. It is very load and very obnoxious. She also likes to stand right outside our door and whine.
I let her in the bedroom when I am in there, but the door is closed throughout the day and during the night. I do not let her in the bed because of Danny's allergies.
We've considered getting a second cat so she would have a companion. PAWS is full too and I would love to help out, but we can't bring two cats back to the states when we travel and we couldn't have a dog as long as we were living in military housing.
Does anyone know a lot about cats? I have done research, but I just can't understand what she does and I REALLY want it to stop.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry can't help ya.
    Good luck

    Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori, she may have a urinary tract infection. My mom's cat gets these frequently if she doesn't eat the right foods or doesn't drink enough water, and whines a lot when she is uncomfortable. Have you noticed any difference in her litterbox habits? Try to see if she is going more frequently and if going to the bathroom bothers her. A vet can get a specimen from her and determine whether she does truly have an infection or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The UTI would be good to check out. Also, cats can come into heat at six months. *scary thought*

    Then, she may just be a vocal cat (I love em). Our Fred was a nightowl for his first year, not vocal but racing through the house. Now, he's content to sleep on the foot of our bed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see some very good ideas. If you can, get her to the vet first. Eliminate a health problem . Check the web site I sent for the visual signs of a cat in heat. Does she yowl during the day or only at night? Has she been alone alot lately? Did she want to go home with Ryen?
    Cats are nocturnal animals, and prowl at night, this could be one reason, or she may really be lonesome.
    Especially the yowling outside your door. Does she sleep with you when Danny is gone? If so, that could be one reason for the door yowl. You may just have to sleep with the cat! Good luck in finding an answer, I really hope it something like being in heat, the easiest problem to solve. Haveing a sick kitty is very scary.

    Gram

    ReplyDelete