Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Job

Many of you have been asking about how my job search is going. There wasn't much happening until today. A week ago I went to Yokosuka and got what you would call a "family stamp". Is an engraved stamp made of glass that has your family name on it. I wrote down my name in English and the people working at the store translate it into katakana which is a form of Japanese writing that is used for foreign words. I need that to get a bank account.
I was told by the school that I needed a bank account with Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi or a percentage of my wages would be taken out to send it to a different bank. So on thursday I opened an account. It was very difficult because I don't read or speak (much) Japanese and they don't speak much English. It all worked out okay though.
Then I went to the legal office. They told me that military and dependents technically need a working visa to teach in Japan. I was told that most employers are willing to look past this though. I sent all this information to the school and waited many days to hear back. I was getting anxious because I was told I could have a trial lesson with a student and wanted to get started as soon as possible.
Today, I finally got an email back. The man who runs the school told me there was still a student available and I would have to meet them at a train station. Working without a visa isn't legal and it isn't illegal. So instead of being "employed" I am "joining them". This also aleviates the need to take 20% taxes out of my paycheck. Even though I will recieve money from the school, it is as if it is coming directly from the student. I am really happy that he was willing to work with me and I am excited about getting started, but I am still so nervous because I have never done this before. I will get paid 2,000 yen (about $20) for 60 minutes and likely have a lesson once a week.
The elementary school keeps bugging me. I turned in my application and it was sent to the main office in Japan, but apperently there is something missing. I just haven't bothered to take the time to walk over there yet. I am so tired of going through all this shit for one part time job. Government jobs are ridiculous. Anyway, I'll go over there eventually and try to work it all out. Unfortunately, I think I know what is missing and I don't know all the information to complete it.
Well, wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. How hard is it to get a work visa in Japan? Don't give up on the school deal. Where will you be teaching? At home?

    I think once your foot is in the door, it helps to get more work, it also will give your reference for future work.
    Good you can get away from the goofy girl, sounds like she is almost stocking you. I hope your other friends tell you if she is talking behind your back, I wouldn't be surprise if she isn't doing that sort of thing. If she is, Elosie may be right, she doesn't want you in the circle and is trying to drive you out.

    Good luck.
    Gram

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just check to see what I could find on line about visa. Sounds really complicated, even for military dependents. If what I see is correct you have to go to the embassy and then leave the country and come back! How crazy is that.

    If you are with a company, they can sponsor, and shorten the red tape. Sounds like this is what is going on. It can be done.

    Gram

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what is missing and I can't really do anything about it. All I really have to do is go over there and tell them that.
    Oh, BTW Tracy, you may not want me to get a job over there. All the women are getting pregnant, there is something in the water! That is why there are so many available positions.

    ReplyDelete