Monday, April 30, 2007

Last day of April

First, I want to take a moment say Happy Birthday to everyone who has/had a birthday this week. Grandpa, Jennifer, Dad and Amber. I am sorry if I left anyone out. I promise I'll have birthday cards for everyone when we get to the states, which will be in just a few days. Both Danny and I are very excited to come home even if it is for a short time.
Still not much going on here. We spent a ton of money on food and other things to have a barbeque on saturday with a bunch of people Danny works with. It was a complete bust; not one single person showed up. Now we are stuck eating macaroni salad, fruit salad, chips, hamburgers, hot dogs and beer all the time. I am really peeved and disapointed that people said they were going to come and just didn't bother to come with any comment at all. And of course that we spent the money on it. Well, I guess thats the last time we try to do something nice.
Today, and the rest of this week, is a national holiday time in Japan which is also known as Golden Week. Yesterday was Showa No Hi (Showa's Day) celebrating the birthday of the late emperor, who died in 1989. Thursday is Kenpo Kinenbi- or constitution day. Just what it sound like. Friday, May 4th, is Midori No Hi (Greenery Day). It is the equivilent of Earth Day. Saturday is Kodomo No Hi which is Children's Day. This day is to wish wealth and hapiness to children although it was originally the Chinese Dragon Boat Festival.
During the week many businesses are closed and many Japanese travel. For Americans, it is advised that we don't plan on driving anywhere or go to town much because it is so busy. I wish we could be here for Childrens' Day because it looks like fun. I believe many adults decorate for the festivities and have many activities for children. I'd just like to see what its all about.
Well, I suppose you got your Japanese history lesson for the day.

4 comments:

  1. That's just plain rude that people told you they were coming and then didn't. I understand that's pretty common now, but just why it's considered acceptable, I have no idea. We're considering having a chief's b-b-q this summer, now I'm really nervous! I don't like mac salad enough to eat a gallon of the stuff myself.

    The bright side is we get to see you in just a few days! Dan and your dad have set up a meeting time so they can go together to pick you guys up. We're so excited to see you again, it's been just way too long!

    Have a safe trip, we'll see you in just a few days. XXOOX Mom/Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. We really could use the hot dogs, salad, chips and beer. Can you stuff it in your luggage?
    We promise to show up. OK we were going to show up even if there was nothing but I thought I could give it a try.
    We are all waiting for you two to arrive home. Like Tracy said Dan and I will be waiting in Seattle.

    Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Party..... their lose. It would have been nice if at least one person showed up. Hurt feelings in a Big way.
    Just remember it was their lose!!
    Us Snyders carry a grudge...right Lori >: E

    Got an email from Kana, she says for us not to be surprised if she hides in your luggage. She would love to come visit in the states again.

    Will be watching the " friendly skies" on Friday.

    Cheryl and I are making a German Chocolate Cake for your Dad and Jennifer on Tuesday, if we don't eat it all, I'll save a piece or two.

    Gram

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about your Big Disappointment... hard to believe people would do that. Remembering times of disappointment here, but at least a few showed.

    Prayers for a safe trip home. Wishing we were close enough to at least give you a hug.

    Gramma and Grandpa T

    ReplyDelete