Thursday, May 31, 2007

Another decision of mine

After talking to many of my friends, I have to say I've decided that many navy wives have a way of sucking every last bit of happiness out of you. I guess it must be because most of us are bored, jobless, and spend most of our time locked up in our houses. Okay, I just started including myself in that statement and I don't feel like I am part of this group
Anyway, my assumption is that they get a sort of cabin fever. They make themselves somewhat crazy and invite ideas in their head of things that don't exist and also apparently loose all judgment.
Of course I am not going into details, but I am definitely tired of this already. I've heard of too many times when "friends" get mad about something minor and go berserk attaching the person they've decided they don't like.
I can't wait to go back to the states and get normal friends (and by normal I mean weren't crazy enough to marry and navy guy and won't go crazy anytime soon). I am also sad that a few screwy people mess up the image of us all.
Don't even get me started on the officer's wives that mess it up for the rest of us too...

2 comments:

  1. I really think it depends on who you meet, and where. I hope once you get back to the states you attitude will change.
    I suppose like anything, some people think they are more important than they really are. The big fish in the small pond syndrome. Officer's wives!
    Just live your life the way you want, and don't let the crazies screw up your life. I imagine military wives are very lonesome, I can still remember what it was like to be young and living in a strange county (California), and yes there were some strange military wives even in the 50's. When in doubt about someone, stay as far away as you can.
    I know we are all "our brothers keepers" but I don't think you need to be in charge of the whole asylum.
    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, it isn't just Navy wives that are like that. It's any group that's unique. Just listen to the wives of sports figures dish sometime. Given enough time, I think you'll find a small, but sincere, group of spouses that you can relate to and you'll continue to run into them for years to come. The ones you like, hold close, figuratively if nothing else. The ones who make your life difficult, develop an unemotional way of dealing with them. My personal favorite? Kill them with kindness. (And sarcasm, I'm sort of good at that too.) When they're cruel to you, just sweetly ask, "XYZ, are you having a bad day? Is there anything I can do to help?". First, they may realize what a B**ch they're being. Second, and even better, they might recognize the sarcasm and back off. People get bored when they have nothing to do, and those with small minds and no imagination, will start to take pot shots at the more vulnerable to liven up their lives. You can fight back by not reducing yourself to their level and they'll never know what hit them. You go, girl! You're more than up to this situation. And always remember, we may be an ocean away, but it's just a Skype call, and we're right there. Love you, kiddo! XXOOX Mom/Tracy

    ReplyDelete