Sunday, May 20, 2007

Car problems

I drove the car to the grocery store just an hour ago. Danny had the ac on when he was driving it home this morning and when I drove it I noticed a strange smell. I didn't think anything of it until the way back. I turned the air off and still noticed a smell. When I was stopped at a light I saw steam or smoke coming out of the engine. Not very much, but it doesn't look good and smells terrible. I checked the temp of the car and it was normal, but the oil gauge looked low. We just had the oil changed a few months ago (not long enough ago to warrant an oil change, but I think it may be leaking.) Danny has been driving it, so I haven't even seen the car long enough to notice anything. If it is leaking, where would it be leaking from? How much is that going to cost?! ... we are trying to sell the crappy thing...
If its not the oil, anyone else want to take a guess at what it could be? I am waiting a few hours and then I'll go look at it once it cools down.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Lori, trouble-shooting cars is definitely out of my league! Hopefully it's something relatively minor and cheap & easy to fix. It usually never is, but one can always hope.

    You didn't say, but is Mocha glad you're back? I'm 'kitty' sitting this weekend while Drew's in Victoria. Dang kitten, why does it have to be so cute? I HATE cats, right? ;-)

    Love you guys, miss you both already. XXOOX Mom/Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. When the engine is cold, check the dip stick to see if oil is low. Look in the engine and see if there is oil anywhere on the motor (or water) if the filter was changed see if it could be leaking or not on tight. Tighter all the hose clamps. If it is low on oil DO NOT DRIVE, until you put oil in or you won't have a motor.
    Have you noticed any oil on the ground where you park? You might even start the car and see if you can see any water or oil dripping. Maybe if your lucky when the oil was changed some spilled on the engine. Good Luck

    Grandma and Grandpa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read an idea to check. The oil pan plug under the car where they drain the oil, make sure it isn't leaking, maybe not tightened when the oil was changed. The oil spill probably wouldn't be still smelling if you had the oil changed two months ago, unless you haven't been driving.

    Gram

    ReplyDelete