Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Kamakura

Okay, I guess I didn't post these pictures before. Oops.
I went last month with the pastor of my church and his family to see the Great Buddha of Kamakura. It is a famous landmark of Japan. It is the largest Buddha of Japan, but I believe the one in Hong Kong is bigger. I didn't see that one while we were there.














Back to Kamakura. First we rode on a small train and then walked to the place of the temple for the Buddha and after visiting there we went to another shrine some way away. This other place was very beautiful. It had nice gardens and beautiful architecture. It was called the Hase temple. The view was nice since we were on top of a hill. Here is a link to some information about Hase temple: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3101.html
I am sure I left out some information. Please ask questions if I did.

P.S. The water you see is Sagami-wan. It is basically the Pacific Ocean. The beach was dirty, but it was still a fairly nice place.

8 comments:

  1. Wow...how did we miss THAT when we went? That's one giant Buddha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big Buddha
    I thought I was looking in a Mirror!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL Ryen. I didn't realize that the Buddha is a few train stops and about a 10 minute walk away from the main street of Kamakura!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No Larry you have more hair......ouch get the knife out of the back!

    Glad you got to see the Buddha, when you mention Japan I think everyone thinks about the Buddha's and temples.

    Gram

    ReplyDelete
  5. *grin*

    Memories..... we went there a few times when I was a kid. I remember going up inside and looking out his eyes. Can you still do that? I doubt it.

    That beach is very familiar, also. Fascinating, because at that time the boys wore something similar to Sumo wrestlers costume.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When i looked again I think the three little gods kind of resemble Stewie also. I am soooo sick. To much forced watch of Family Guy!!!
    Gram

    ReplyDelete
  7. More great pictures! I'm so glad you're getting to see so much of the area. So many people wouldn't, you're so adventurous! :-) Mom/Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kamakura is one of those things all people see here. In fact, most people in Yokosuka go to see it the first week they're here.
    You can still go inside the Buddha. I didn't go, but the people I was with did. One of their grandsons made the insightful remark that Buddha is all empty inside. I'm not sure if you can look through his eyes though.

    ReplyDelete