Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Ranting...

Okay, here is something I don't understand that I'd like to take a moment to rant about.
For those of you who have never used it (although I am sure you've heard of it), iTunes is amazing. Danny and I have used it a lot to watch television shows and movies from the US that we don't have access to here, as well as music both old and new. When I first downloaded iTunes, it directed me to the iTunes Japan site, but when I tried to make a purchase it forced me to the US site because that is what I registered my site under. Bummer but no big deal.
Since last year I've been purchasing episodes of Grey's Anatomy and I just started watching Heroes. I saw the first season on dvd. Now, iTunes and NBC quit working together and NBC went to Amazon.com's "Unbox". This was obnoxious because I had to download new software and purchase my episode through their website. The first three went fine.
Now, Amazon.com has decided that they will enforce the "no downloads if you live outside the US" policy. You can buy all you want, but you can't download. This is just another way service members and families overseas are getting screwed (excuse my language, please). This is just another complaint on top of companies that won't ship to APO/FPO addresses. I am not sure if they really have no appreciation for the sacrifice or if they are just not willing to work a little harder.
iTunes has never once told me that I could not purchase, download, or watch a show because I live in Japan because this is where the US government has taken me. I am an American citizen and I am giving them money to watch a show that I could watch for free if I lived in the states. I don't see how they're getting a bad deal there.
Besides my frustration directed towards Amazon.com, I will save some for NBC and ask them what they were thinking when they moved away from iTunes. So far, Unbox has not been too well received from what I've heard. iTunes may have control over the internet music and video sales, but people like it. Why junk a good thing?
Sincerely, Belligerent Foreigner in Japan

Thanks. I feel better now. Not that it solves my problem, but I discovered why I was so angry about it!

8 comments:

  1. So glad you didn't bottle that one up! ;-D

    I wonder what the reason is for not shipping to APO addresses. Would it be that they can't track it for delivery. Just wondering if they have lost money on disappearing packages.

    But why you can't download.... that doesn't make sense at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've noticed a lot of things, magazine etc. that don't like the APO. We all know that is government, service mailing, Seems it should be secure, but then again I said government didn't I.

    I think you will discover the whole thing is geared to money some way. You need to get someone to copy the shows on a CD at home and send them over.
    (sorry mine is just a player.)

    Gram

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once upon a time, it was just electronics that couldn't be shipped out of country, some sort of security risk. How and when that was extended to downloads and pretty much everything else, I have no idea. It doesn't cost any more to ship to an APO/FPO address, so I'm at a loss to understand. Is there someone on base that could explain it? If so, please ask them, then let us k now, okay? I'm curious. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Write to problem solvers at KOMO news 4 or the State Attorney general. You are still registered voters and the Navy has a large voice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just be careful it doesn't mess with Danny's career. They sort of have a thin skin about that kind of thing... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Didn't think about that.

    Yeah don't do something to get Dan or Dan in trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Not that I would do anything anyway..." I actually just wrote an email to Amazon and it was the definition of passive-aggressive. They wrote me back and basically said "too bad".
    Thats fine, I don't really buy things from amazon anyway. They won't miss me.

    ReplyDelete