Sunday, April 13, 2008

Japanese Bobtail

Ever since we got Mocha I've wondered why her tail was the way it is. It has a few kinks in it and feels like a deformation. Its probably only about 3" long. Today I finally discovered a little more information. I believe that at least one of her parents were a Japanese Bobtail. Mostly what makes me think this is the description of the tail: (these are CFA standards)
The tail is unique not only to the breed, but to each individual cat. Like our finger prints, no two tails are ever alike. The tail must be clearly visible and is composed of one or more curves, angles, or kinks or any combination thereof. The furthest extension of the tail bone from the body should be no longer than three inches. The direction in which the tail is carried is not important. The tail may be flexible or rigid and should be of a size and shape that harmonizes with the rest of the cat. The genetic factor which created the Japanese Bobtail is completely different from the Manx, a naturally tailless cat. Unlike the Manx, it is due to recessive genes and breeds true. The two breeds are not related in any way. Not only are their tails different, but the body types are completely opposite.
Fascinating.
Her coloring is different from the breed, which is usually white with any other color patches. I think I'll keep searching to discover what the rest of her is, although I think her coloring occurs in many different breeds.

6 comments:

  1. Interesting. Until you had Mocha, I'd never even heard of that breed. It'll be fun meeting her in person in a few months. Not as much fun as meeting our first grandchild, but still fun. XXOOX Mom/Tracy

    P.S. Thanks again for the phone call last night, Danny, it was great visiting with you and having intellectual discourse. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember our Tiger striped cat Killer? he also had the strange twisted short tail. His was stiff like the bone was still there. Winters had a cat they called Kinky because it also had a short curled tail. So how did this Japanese breed infect the Pacific Northwest? We always thought the poor cat got it's tail caught in the door.
    Be interesting to find out more.
    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is also a variety called an American bobtail. They are a little fluffier and have a slightly rounder face. Their tails are also a slight bit longer from what I understand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had investigated the Japanese Bobtail, because out cat Moses, who lived for thirteen years, looked exactly like one. My thought was that they probably came to this area on log ships that traveled between here and Japan, regularly.

    I would love to have another one. He was a sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you haven't found it yet, here's a page with pictures of different colors of JBT's:
    http://www.kiddlyn.com/colors.html

    There are Tabbies among them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I read that they also went to Europe, so that may have been the way they got to the United States. Its a much longer trip, but just as possible I suppose. I don't think Mocha would like a cross-ocean trip. :)
    Thanks for the link. Some of them had coloring similar to my kitty.

    ReplyDelete