Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Almost Christmas

It may feel like Christmas in Western Washington with all that snow, but I have to do everything I can to make it feel festive around here. Yes, I know it isn't even December 1st yet, but I have to get movin'.
Really, I just started. Today I went to our mini-exchange and bought a live Christmas tree. We wanted a fake one, but they wanted $150 for one. We got a Noble fir and it was only $35. It is a pretty nice tree. I bought a stand and skirt for it and can't wait for Danny to get home so we can decorate. I think I have to go to a Japanese store to buy decorations because our Exchange's selection sucks. I just want some simple colored balls and a nice top, but we don't have any. I gotta find stockings too. The funniest thing about our tree is that it was shipped here from Tacoma, so it is like having a good ol' tree from home. I just hope the cat doesn't try to eat it, climb it or knock it over. Tinsel is out of the question.
I know, I haven't put up pictures of the Hong Kong trip yet. I'll go get my camera right now. I honestly don't have many good ones. Danny took most of them because I was too lazy to dig my camera out of my purse. It kept turning itself on in there too.
Anyway, just wanted to give an update. Hope everyone in Washington stays warm and dry.

4 comments:

  1. Glad you got a tree, if really makes the season special for your first Christmas. I would think just pretty Japanese trinkets would even work. Sure wish you had all the ones that are upstairs (and I didn't). Watch out for Mocha, only put balls down low that are non-breakable, cats love to attack a tree, and she may even climb up the limbs. Remember if she knocks it over to laugh, she is just enjoying the season too. Don't forget to get her a stocking filled with kitty goodies, (as if you haven't already had something in mind!)
    Bellingham suppose to be 7 degrees tonight, plus the wind chill factor. I think they have 14 to 16 inches of snow and could get more in the next couple of days. College is still closed, and you know they hardly ever do that.
    Gram

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am pretty sure it will be nearly impossible to find Japanese ornaments. The ones they do have look exactly like American ones (all they sell are glass balls, snowflakes and the miniture wrapped boxes that nest in your tree). They don't exactly celebrate Christmas over here. There is a very small Christian population.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I tried to get Danny to buy an ornament when we were in Hong Kong, but he wouldn't do it. I kept pushing it and he kept ignoring me. Yes, I am still angry about that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see the pretty wind chine Kana brought over, as a Christmas ornament. Maybe if you look you can find something unusual to use. I do think they use a lot of pretty folded boxes in Japan, as the paper folding is such a tradition.
    Men are good at ignoring, it's an art passed down though the ages. (except when something is said you wish they hadn't heard!) and he listened so well for over 7 years.
    Always pays to be careful in a foreign country, even in the good old USA.
    Gram

    ReplyDelete