Monday, June 09, 2008

Don't know...

I am not sure if this will all work out, but I wanted to let you know that things are getting complicated around here. I am on the list to fly space available (and I am on the very bottom of that list) from Yokota to Seattle on June 18th. Obviously there are no guarantees with that. I just have to wait and see if there is a seat available for me.
I just read an article from Stars and Stripes yesterday that said in July and August, the flights back to Japan will only be leaving once every two weeks instead of once a week. This means that everybody from two flights will be condensed down into one and there will be less space available seats.
My midwife said I need to be home by 35 weeks as that is the cutoff date for pregnant women and international flights. That means I need to be home before Aug. 1. If I don't get on the plane back to Japan, the baby will have to be born in the states, which is not what I want.
On top of all this, my potential cat sitter is going back to the states early and my neighbors (who usually watch Mocha) are preparing to move back to Washington D.C. this summer. I don't know how much longer they'll be around or if they'll be willing to watch her. This really is a minor thing though.
Basically what this means is that I don't know whether or not I'll make it back. I certainly don't have the money to fly back, especially because Danny and I are buying me a bigger car. Its only $1800, but that just leaves me with less than I had before.
Anyway, I just wanted to give a heads up. I know that everyone has been planning for me to come back, but this whole space available, can't make definite plans thing is really starting to stress me out. Danny and I still have to talk about and he is suggesting that I get a refundable ticket, but I am just not seeing right now how it will work out.

5 comments:

  1. We'll keep our fingers crossed for you, Lori. Don't stress over it, it's completely one of those things where if it's meant to be, it will. All we can do is wait and see. We love you! XXOOX
    Mom/Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry, if you get here we will get you back.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure glad someone answered you , as i didn't know what to say (if you can believe that). You mentioned a list for the flight, when do you sign up to be on it?
    I did find that on Military Fares you could fly from Seattle to Tokyo on US Airways for $483.87, there were several but this was the cheapest. If you couldn't get a military hop this would be an option.
    Sounds like everyone is being transfered. Now you have to break in a new neighbor.

    When would you be notified if you made the plane on the 18th? Otherwords how much notice do they give you?

    As we say.......keep the faith.
    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for that site. I'd never seen it before, great prices although the round trips were just as expensive as normal and wouldn't even fly me directly to Seattle. Dumb!
    Anyway, if I couldn't get the flight from SeaTac, there is always a flight that goes to Elmendorf in Anchorage and then to Yokota. I'm gonna try not to worry about it, but I'll probably try to leave as soon as I can after the baby shower.
    I won't know until the morning of the flight if I get on. I have to go to Yokota and probably should stay the night. I'll get you guys more details as soon as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just read a web page from Air Mobility Command about the plane flights. It says that Northwest Airlines in support of the military (and probably getting extra money from our government) will be upgrading to a larger aircraft and so will be able to seat 100 more on the planes and that is why they are flying every two weeks now. The 18th Air Force Tanker Control Center has set up a new schedule with the airlines which is available through GATES. USTRANSCOM is trying to set up a Patriot Express schedule for when the old contract end.
    You may be able to get to these with the military code numbers, I am locked out.
    It said beginning July9th the Partiot Express will fly a B-747 bi-weekly round trip from Seattle to Yokota AB Japan.

    (You probably know all this, but ....just in case)

    Grandma

    ReplyDelete