Monday, September 22, 2008

The First Appointment

Melanie had her first appointment with the pediatrician today. The little stinker exploded her diaper just before we removed her clothes to weigh her. She got it all over her outfit. Luckily Mommy was prepared with a onesie in the diaper bag!
Her weight has gone up a bit and her jaundice is all but gone. When we left the hospital the level was just below borderline (for being over 72 hours old) at 14 and today it was only 4! She is doing really well.
I wanted to wait until she was at least 3 weeks old before giving her a pacifier. Last night she cried from midnight to 3 and zonked out the minute we gave it to her. Hardly even woke up at 7 so I could feed her. She was in bed until 10 when Danny got her up and took her downstairs. We also started her on a bottle today. I'm gonna keep trying to breastfeed, but she just isn't getting enough to eat that way. I am pumping though. We bought formula today for emergency backup.
The pediatrician was great 'cause he told me that she is our baby and we can do it anyway we want. Whatever works for her and for us. We had a good day out with minimal crying. No luck finding preemie diapers though. They are all gone. Ugh. Hopefully we can make the newborn ones work until we make it into town to find Japanese ones.
Anyway, I'll add more info as I remember. :) We're doing well for tonight. It was a long but good day.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear Melanie is doing so well. Hard decision about feeding but you have to do what is best for the baby even if it means changing your plans. Since I always held the boys when I bottle feed I think I still did a lot of cuddling and bonding. I think breast is easier than washing bottles all the time, but some things just don't work out like we want. I think the key ingredient is the milk, mother's milk is so much better for them, especially to give them a good start.

    Love Grandma

    ReplyDelete