Thursday, July 12, 2007

Mt Fuji Pictures (pt. 2)

When we stated out the climb, I believe it was about 5 am. We got up at 1 and left Yokosuka before 2. The weather was clear but cloudy. By the time we started climbing, it was pouring rain and windy. Of course, my jacket is not waterproof and Danny's "goretex" from Korea didn't work so well either. We didn't make it to the top top because it was close due to bad weather (sleet coming down sideways) and snow buildup. It was also -25 degrees Celsius. We didn't have the right gear to take that on.
Our group was supposed to stop climbing at 1 (1300) no matter where we were, but I think Danny and I were already back down where we started by then. They say it takes 4-5 hour to get to the top and 2-3 hours to get back down. We took a lot of rests near the top. Most of the other people from the ship were up there so we stayed around and chatted for a while. Thats when we made our decision to go back down and think that was just before 11.
The bus wasn't supposed to leave until 5 or 6, but we left by 3:45. After a quick rest stop we were back in Yokosuka by 6:30 or so. I really have a hard time saying for sure because I didn't look at my watch much.
Well anyway, here are Danny's pictures.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you never got to the top, but I suppose you weren't, not if you had wet clothes and were freezing to death. I do hope you get a chance to try again when the weather is clear, I would love to see the pictures. It must be an unbelievable view.

    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the climb.... who cares that you didn't make it to the top. You climbed Mt. Fuji!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great pictures too. Are you going to try to get all the way to the top sometime? Trying to do something like that in miserable weather is tough, I'm sure.

    Thanks for sharing with us! XXOOX Mom/Tracy

    ReplyDelete