Wednesday, September 20, 2006

A true story

So, I got my first real excitement in Japan this morning. I got up at 4:30 this morning with Danny and had some breakfast and then went back to bed for a few hours after he left. When I got up again, I was little hungry so I decided to make a bagel. The only plain ones they sell here are frozen. And of course I didn't thaw it out first. To make a long story short, I was trying to pry it open with a steak knife and cut my thumb. I was bleeding a lot and thought I would pass out so I went to my neighbors house. She was in the shower, so unfortunately I had to sit on the porch for about 20 minutes before she came out. She took me to the clinic here and I ended up with 4 stiches in my thumb. (Sorry if that was too much information for some people, I have to tell it like it is. Fortunately I left out the details.)
It hurts but is okay. The feeling is coming back and I am on ibuprofen. I have an appointment to get my stiches out next thursday (the 28th), but Danny is going to make dinner tonight and I really appreciate that. The bummer is that I was supposed to go to the craft store today, but I have to wait until next week now. Since my thumb is okay, thats all I care about now...
I did get a compliment today. The HM at the clinic told me that I was the only nice officer's wife he had ever met. That is sad, but I am glad it was me!

6 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your thumb, Happy to Dan is home.
    it's to hog him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought i taught you better than that! So is the knife sharp or dull?, what about the person who was using it?
    Yes, you are lucky you have a good neighbor. Do you know what other options you would have had if she wasn't there? I assume this was the left thumb. I'm sure Danny is a good cook, maybe every Sunday meal would be nice. Did I just hear Danny screaming all the way from Japan?
    Take care and take the pain killer. Remember if it starts to throb, hold your hand in the air. If this type of thing happens again------I may just have to come over there and bring you home!!!!
    Gram

    ReplyDelete
  3. The knife was very sharp, it was a clean cut. I was the dull one though. Apperently when I graduated from college I stopped using my brain.
    If my neighbor wasn't home, I would have either called other people I know up here or called the ambulance. There is no other way I could get there. I certainly wasn't walking.
    Danny wasn't here when I did it, but I am sure he would have freaked out. We talked about that... He said he was going to buy me a knife for my birthday, but I told him he better buy me a knife glove (and maybe some common sense would be nice!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmm, what can I say. Yes, a little common sense would seem to be needed.
    Danny better get use to you (and your kids) doing dumb things, it goes with the territory, but we love you all anyway. What happened to all the Boy Scout training in first aid? or is it only his blood that doesn't bother him?
    This is the kind of dumb things families didn't know about before the computer age!


    Gram

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its not so much blood that bothers him, its guts. And although there are no "guts" in my thumb, the cut was just deep enough that he wouldn't have been too thrilled. If he was there and didn't look, I am sure he would have been pretty good and would have help me a lot. The only freaking out would have been "OMG Lori. You are so pale! Are you going to be sick?".
    If our kids take after me, they will do dumb stuff like this all the time. I have to say that Danny isn't any better. When he was a kid he picked up a hot drill bit. (Sorry for sharing that babe, but if my stupid stuff is broadcast out there then so is yours.) Eh, we all do dumb stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In case Danny is reading this, I to have picked up a hot drill bit, plus a hot frying pan that I immediately dropped on a vinyl floor, leaving a scorch mark that was there until new flooring was put down!

    Gram

    ReplyDelete