Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Costco

I went to the Japanese Costco a few weeks ago and I just remembered that I forgot to write about it.
It really wasn't too much different from the American Costco, but still an interesting experiance. Because there is so little space in Japan, the parking is on top of the building. You get your cart (which I have to mention was HUGE and Japanese supermarkets rarely have full-sized carts anyway) up there and then use the automatic ramp to go down. The ramp is magnatized or something; anyway, the cart is imobilized when you put it on the ramp. Pretty neat feature. When I went in the store I really was happy to see all the American things. They still had the people at the end of the aisle giving away free food. Most of the people still spoke English too.
Amy bought the Kirkland Signature muffins and gave me some. Yum! I bought an interesting mixture of Japanese and American foods.
So, I guess there was nothing really amazing about it, but it was odd for me to see it in Japan. I can't wait until Amy invites me to go again!

4 comments:

  1. Cool! We heard about the Japanese Costco this summer when we had missionaries visiting. She is Japanese, but had become very Americanized from her years of living here. She and her husband both enjoy that little bit of the USA, and she mentioned enjoying the big carts. They live in Tokyo. She is a third generation Japanese Christian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think it would pay for you to invest in a membership? I'm sure the card is good world wide at any Costco.
    I read a story about a girl who was broke, she would go to the Costco with a friend and eat her way around the store, get full, and save some money on groceries.

    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've thought about membership, but I am just not sure if I would use it enough. Plus, when I go there I spend more than I should anyway.
    I've heard that you can take your membership one way, but not the other. I am not sure which way it is...

    ReplyDelete
  4. When we first moved here and bought our house, we were SO broke. The boys were both still little, 6 & 2, and I'd take them to Costco for 'lunch'. They loved the little samples they'd get and fill up on them. I suppose I should feel guilty about it, but I'm pretty sure Costco got more then their $'s worth back from me. :-) Mom/Tracy

    ReplyDelete