Saturday, September 08, 2007

Super gross

I randomly decided to clean the sheets on the guest bed today. No one is staying here, but I hadn't washed them since Ryen left in January. Thats not weird; why should I wash them if no one is sleeping on them? Anyway, there was something on the bed, but I ignored it. I just wrapped up the quilt and threw it on the floor. I took it and the sheets down stairs and put the sheets in the washing machine. After they were done, I put the quilt in. I started the washing machine and looked on the floor and there was a dead cockroach on the floor.
I am convinced that Mocha found one and thought "Ooh toy! Why don't I take it upstairs and play with it on the bed no one sleeps on - then I will hide it and save it for later!" I am pretty sure the cockroach didn't come up with the idea of hiding in the bed on its own. I'm not sure exactly where in the bed it was, but it really doesn't matter. Cockroaches don't belong in beds.
There are traps all over the house. I found one non-moving but very alive one in the office closet last week. Now I am shuddering and trying not to freak out. Ew, ew, ew, ew, EW!

7 comments:

  1. Just how big was this toy/cockroach?
    Yes, they make you feel like they are crawling everywhere and in everything. I always hated the idea that they come out in the dark (sorry I just freaked you out again!)
    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. My worst experience with roaches was in the Keys, when my roommate left an open bag of sugar in the one of the cupboards. When I opened the door, they were everywhere! After screaming, I woke her up and made her clean it up, I sure wasn't going to. UGH!

    Glad you're inviting all your nighttime crawlers to their local roach motel, keep those traps out! Poor girl, first spiders, now roaches. Welcome to Navy housing, huh? XXOOX Mom/Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tracy - EW!! Now I am gonna freak out about finding cockroaches in my sugar. I don't have it in a sealed container, just in the original paper bag. Yuck!
    Grandma - I didn't look at it too long to be honest. I think it was the size of a regular cockroach. Probably close to full grown. I don't know how long it had been in the bed. I checked my sheets last night before crawling in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always heard that during the Second World War the ships coming into Bremerton would have HUGE Roaches on them. How big is the average one in Japan? In California they were about the size of ants.
    How about the ones in Florida Tracy? I have always heard that the really big ones are in the south.
    Gary has desert rats in Arizona almost as big as our Possums.
    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  5. How big are Californian ants?! My cockroaches are about 2 to 2.5 inches long and about 1.25 inches wide, I would guess. That is not including the antenna.

    ReplyDelete
  6. (I had to delete sorry)

    In California we killed our roaches with a fly swatter, If I had had them that big I would use a blow torch!

    No wonder Mocha things they are play toys. I can see why the spider was so big, if they ate the roaches.

    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pets are sooooo much fun. :-D
    One of our dogs would tuck snacks to save for later, under the guest room pillow. At least they didn't have legs....just things she retrieved from the garbage can.


    I remember those huge cockroaches in Hawaii. I would always turn the light on at night to give them a chance to scatter so I wouldn't step on one. I couldn't kill them then....had to call for my brother to dispatch them.

    ReplyDelete