Monday, August 27, 2007

Gauge

I just finished eating a juicy and tasty peach (my new favorite thing) in celebration of the knitting gauge for my new project. The gauge called for 14.5 sts 21 rows = 4" at 10.5 needle size. I am not sure what the 21 rows thing is about and I also didn't have 10.5 needles, so I decided to try my 10s and do a relaxed knit (I have a tendency to pull tight). I just finished about 6" of my gauge and decided to measure. 14.5 sts was 10 cm (my gauge measure tool is in metric because I bought it here in Japan) so I had to go through the conversion. Its 3.93"! Yay!! That means I can finally starting knitting my cute little hat. I am not sure what my project will be after that. Maybe another hat since I have enough yarn. I think I am getting ahead of myself!
I guess the one thing I didn't say here was that I finally finished the prayer shall. It took me over a year and I didn't really "finish". Since I had decided to give it to Kana, and I was going to her apartment on friday (more about that later), I had a lot of pressure to finish. Well... I didn't. I had to finish at her place and didn't have the supplies or time to do the pretty fringe/tassles on the ends, but she liked it and that is all that matters. It was a big project... I think I'll stick to prayer socks or prayer scarves from now on! :)
I'd actually like to knit things and sell them, but I don't know how or what or if its worth it. I guess if I came out even I'd be happy. Knitting keeps me busy. I've also discovered that it keeps me from eating anything I shouldn't!
I'll get my camera and attach a picture now of what the shawl looked like; all 73"+ of it!!

I couldn't get the whole thing in one picture.






Folded in half.






Kana bundled up.

3 comments:

  1. Good for you, it always feels so good to get a project done. It turned out really nice. To bad about the fringe, but i'm sure it will be easier to wash and take care of without it.

    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a beautiful job, Lori. The shawl was well worth the effort, and how good does it look on Kana! I can hardly wait to see how your 'prayer socks' come out. Just the thought of those made me smile.

    The 21 rows for the guage for your new project means that if you stitch x stitches for 21 rows, you'll get a swatch that's 4" x 4". Good for you that you got it in one. I usually knit very loosely and have to use needles at least one size smaller than called for. The first hat I made came to my chin. Not a good look for me, I assure you. Although, some may disagree. ;-)

    I'm looking forward to seeing pics of your hat. Don't worry about getting ahead of yourself. My yarn stash is embarrassingly huge now! It's become an addiction, I'm afraid.

    Knitting for $ is possible, if you do it just to pay for your habit. Small things, like dishcloths or toys sell well and are quick to make. Let me know if you decide to try that and if so, how it works for you.

    Enjoy your hobby, it's a good one. I know! ;-) XXOOX Mom/Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! And Kana looks cute in it. :-)

    ReplyDelete