Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Kana's apartment

On Friday I went to Tachikawa to visit Kana. The train ride is about an hour and a half from Yokohama. When I got there we went to the French restaurant she used to work at. It was a really cute little place and the food was amazing.
We went to her place later and hung out that night before I had to leave the next morning. I needed to be back in Negishi by noon because I had a lesson at one.
I took some pictures of her place before I left. Her main room was about the size of my dorm room in Pullman, but a little bigger.







This is standing near the bed facing the other direction. Notice her refrigerator, microwave, and toaster oven.







When you go through the curtains, toward her door, the kitchen and laundry are on the right and the bathroom is on the left. Looking straight ahead you can see her door and the washing machine/dryer unit. Yes, they are both in one. Kana says the dryer is not very good. All apartments have a small space and bar outside to hang clothes to dry.







Looking to the right you can see her small kitchen. She had some things sitting out when I tried to take the picture, but insisted on moving them because it was "messy". There isn't enough room to be messy!












Last, but not least, is the bathroom. I think the one in my dad and Cheryl's 5th wheel is bigger than this. (In fact, Kana's apartment could fit in their 5th wheel now that I think of it) The faucet for the sink has a turney knob that changes the water flow to the shower. Kind of like the directional nozzle you put on the faucet outside for your hose. The shower is very, very small.












I think I'd go crazy living in a place this small. Its cozy, but so so small. When you look out the window all you see are the apartment buildings next door. Its depressing. Maybe Japanese people can put up with it because they are never really at home anyway. They are workaholics.

2 comments:

  1. In Kana's case being small is an advantage, hard to imagine a large person living in such a small apartment. No wonder she was happy in the apartments in Bellingham.
    I bet she isn't a saver and doesn't have a lot of clutter. I hope someday she can have a nice house with a garden, and when she looks out the window she can see something pretty. Everyone should have that kind of a dream.
    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd heard the apts in Japan were small and they weren't kidding. As long as Kana's happy there, that's all that matters. She has a place to call her own and that has to feel good. One of my first apts was so small, when you opened the oven door, it hit the cabinet on the other side. Sure helped me appreciate where I live now! ;-)
    XXOOX Mom/Tracy

    ReplyDelete