Friday, August 03, 2007

Should this surprise me?

I actually had a good day today (so far). Not that my days are generally bad, but there are psychological things you never consider when you have to live in a 2 1/2 bedroom home by yourself for at least 6 months of the year. I can promise that my life is drastically different when Danny is gone. I'd like things to stay as level as possible, but it just isn't gonna happen.
This morning I got my lazy bum up and had a pretty decent breakfast and had somethings to take care of before I left the house. Since Danny ordered some name tags for his uniform on Tuesday when he was here, I had to go to Yokosuka and pick them up. I'll likely send them to him next week. Anyway I wasn't gonna drive for two hours to spend 5 seconds actually getting the things so I made as much of a day out of it as possible.
First, I stopped at a convenience store (Lawson or Familymart - I can't remember) to get "lunch". Then I went to the mall to get some English teaching books from the bookstore. I was pleasantly surprised when I actually found what I was looking for! I bought enough to get my parking validated and headed to the base. I got Danny's name tags and then went to the commissary.
I ran into my friend Shannon and her family while I was there. She had to help me find cream of tarter and corn syrup. I really hate that store. Nothing is placed where you think it should be. For example, the corn syrup wasn't in the baking isle, but with the actual syrup which, sorry, I thought was stupid. What I wouldn't give to go shopping at Haggen in Bellingham even though it was a little too expensive when I was a student making less than $100 a week!
On the drive there and home I was listening to podcasts about Harry Potter and another on teaching English. I recently discovered the joys of podcasts and I really love them. I also think the money I spent on my iPod was the best I have spent in quite a while. Boy did I harass Danny when he got his too. Since I made $210 dogsitting I though I'd put that money to good use. At least now I know why everyone makes a huge deal out of iPods. They're pretty great.
Briefly wanted to explain to everyone what I've alluded to before, but never actually explained. So, you know that Danny's ship had to leave when we had the typhoon scare a few weeks ago. They left on Friday but weren't supposed to leave until Monday. They went to Korea and came back this Tuesday. They were supposed to stay all of Wednesday, but things changed. They got to stay the night, but liberty expired at 7 am and the ship left in the afternoon. So I didn't get to spend that day with Danny and he'll be gone for a while, but I am still planning on going with him to Rhode Island for school in a few months. In fact, I was thinking about getting a MAC flight back to Seattle and staying for a little while before flying to Providence. It will be about $1000 cheaper to fly there from Seattle rather than Tokyo. That drops the price from about $1300 to between $300-$500. A lot more reasonable if you ask me.
I've yapped enough. Don't expect to hear from me for a few days unless something really exciting happens. :)

3 comments:

  1. What no "Free Time"
    What is grandma going to do if you don't make a post.I guess she will have to move housework up the list for a few days.

    Hope your teaching is going well.

    Love You

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry housework doesn't move up the list.......I have three library books that need to be finished by the middle of this month! Books come before housework.

    Corn syrup is always with the other syrups because some people still use it on pancakes etc. You will never find it in the baking area.

    I do agree every store puts products in a differnt place. i wish they would have a complete menu at the door, at least you could go back and look up an item.

    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once you have kids, life will keep you so busy you'll hardly notice when Danny's gone, other than not having him around to help out. I'm adjusting to the 'single' life now that for all intents and purposes, we're empty nesters. Having Snowphish around helps, knowing she's waiting for me makes my come home earlier, rather than hanging out in town, spending $ I shouldn't be and/or eating out. And, of course, there's always my knitting/crocheting to do as well. The days can get lonely, and the nights even moreso, but you'll make it. You're made of good Navy wife stuff! :-)

    ReplyDelete