Thursday, August 16, 2007

One year

As of today (Aug 16th) I have been in Japan for one year.
To celebrate, Japan gave me a 5.4 magnitude earthquake at 4:15 this morning. Our bed doesn't have a very substantial base, so the shaking woke me up. It lasted for a good 10-15 seconds then stopped. After 5-10 seconds we had another brief shake.
I went online just now to look it up and I guess we had another (5.3) at 8:20, but I didn't feel that one. I must have just got out of bed. Both were nearly 40 miles east of Yokohama.
The funny thing is that I was sitting on the couch last night thinking about how I hadn't felt an earthquake since last month. That was the one on the other coast that caused a good amount of damage in Niigata prefecture.
Anyway, all is well. Maybe I can start predicting earthquakes.

5 comments:

  1. If you can perdict eathquakes we can all make a fortune off of your insight. I really think it is the pessimist in you, that knows the laws of average, and you will get yours attitude.

    (I shouldn't say this) but it really doesn't seem like it has been a year already. I do hope you are still writing in a jounal about your adventures, someday they will be priceless.

    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, the only journal I have going is this blog. Not that I don't have the time, but I am not really into sitting down and writing everything I do. Not that I ever do anything interesting at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh come now....nothing interesting???? Your blog is like the great mystery that never ends! We never know what is going to happen next. ☀ ☂ ☺ ☹ ♥

    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Earthquakes! Interesting. I was reading about the Peru EQ and looking at the recent ones in the Pacific Northwest. We haven't felt one for a couple of years. Hoping it stays that way.
    ;-)

    Does Mocha predict earthquakes?

    Heres a site I keep in my Links; it updates the PNW quakes daily.
    http://www.geophys.washington.edu/recenteqs/

    A year already? Wow! Think of all you've learned and experienced. Time can seem to drag, and then suddenly it's gone...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing that it's been an entire year already. You two will be back stateside before you know it and then wonder where the time went in Japan. I'm looking forward to seeing you both again soon! XXOOX Mom/Tracy

    ReplyDelete