Friday, August 24, 2007

Update on "What should I make of this?"

This is the conversation that followed from the first email. I don't want to talk to her via email anymore. Although I want to tell her to find another teacher, I feel an obligation to help her because she needs knowledge in Christianity. I asked my bible study to pray for her last night and the pastors wife suggested to me this morning that has caused Satan to attach this relationship. Anyway, read the conversation and share your opinion.


I am sorry that you were not satisfied with the lesson.
Phyllis does have a lot more knowledge and experiance than I do. I promise that I did study the book before our lesson, but I did not know what to expect from your lesson.

I am firstly an English teacher. I've been a Christian for a very short time and don't know everything from the Bible. Now I know that need to do much research before our lessons. Please try to understand that I don't know everything.

I will work better at giving you what you want. Please tell me what you want to do. I am your teacher and am here to help you.



Lori

______________________________________

Hi, Lori

That book is a discussion book and I don't expect you know everything. I just want you are able to reply my basic questions.

For example, at our last lesson, I asked you the meaning of the following sentence and you didn't answer.

"Abraham pestered God over what it would take to
spare the city, negotiating God down from fifty righteous people to only ten"


Now I checked it in web site and understand the meaning why fifty to only ten. Even my Japanese non-Christian friend knows this story. This is a very famous story in bible. I really wanted to have your answer when I asked. If you didn't know, I wanted you study inadvance and explain me. It's our textbook.

2nd, I want to discuss the meanings, because that book is a discussion book. Unfortunately, my English is
not enough to discuss about this matter, please help me.

For my understanding, getting \3,500 is worth 3 hours
work here. I want to request our lesson is worth \3,500. Unfortunately, I didn't feel like that in my last lesson.


For my understanding, getting money is not only just for money, but also improving both characters and enjoying it, because we had a chance to meet among thousands of people. When I don't feel those, I feel it's very expensive. I know this is my opinion and you have yourown opinion.

______________________________________-

Noriko,
Please try to be careful about how you choose to say things. The things you are saying can be a little upsetting.
I am sorry that I couldn't answer your question. I do not know the details of the story and I do not want to tell you something that is incorrect. Please try not to compare me to other people.
I will try my hardest to give you what you want in your lesson. I want to continue being your teacher. Please don't judge me and give me another chance. I know now we need to be clear about what you are expecting in your lesson. We should have a discussion about your expectations on Monday.
Hopefully we can enjoy this lesson and not be upset about the mistakes I make. It would be best for us to talk about this in person.

I will see you Monday.

Lori

3 comments:

  1. Talking in person will definitely help, I would think. A lot gets lost in translation via e-mail. It almost sounds as if she's looking more for Christian guidance than an English lesson. If that's what she wants, introduce her to your pastor, that's his specialty. For her to expect you to be an authority on all things bibical would be like a child coming to me in the library for help with calculus. Not fair! Hope things work out for you both. XXOOX Mom/Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on Tracy!! I totally agree. I have a feeling that you could compromise until you are blue in the face, and this girl is not going to be happy. If her non-japanese friend knew the story why didn't she ask her what she thought?

    Keep us posted, I still think there is something rotten in Denmark! Otherwords, something else smells here!!

    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  3. CORRECTION: Japanese non-Christian friend.

    Sounds to me like God couldn't find 50 righteous people in the city so he had to negotiate.

    Since I am not a Christian I will have to wait for Elosie or Jim to answer this one.

    Grandma

    ReplyDelete