Saturday, August 04, 2007

Very, very frustrated

The title says it all, does it not? I am supposed to be teaching a lesson right now, but didn't know that the student had canceled until about 10 minutes ago. Apparently she called the owner of the school one hour before her lesson to cancel. I can't have students canceling that close to the lesson. They don't seem to understand how much they affect my day when they cancel at noon for a 1 o'clock lesson because they are "sick". I put that in quotes because a lot of my students seem to get "sick" right before their lesson. They are adults and I expect more responsibility from them.

Unfortunately I can't do much because they are coming to me through a school and not directly. I would not allow this to happen otherwise. Now I have no choice. If it were up to me, they would have to pay for at least half of their lesson if they canceled less than 12 hours before the lesson. The only exception would be life or death emergencies or serious accidents. I would express this to my boss, but I don't think he'd understand or accept it.

They've been doing this to me a lot lately and I am at the end of my rope. I would have changed my plans for the day if I knew they were going to cancel on me. The thing that frustrates me the most is that I can't do anything about it. Even if my boss did understand, I don't know what i should say and how to say it. Because of the cultural differences I know it would be easier to say something wrong.

Very, very, very, very frustrated....

2 comments:

  1. No help here. Could you talk to someone, like Kana and get her to help you use the right words to make the boss understand.

    I would think the Japanese have the same rules as we do about appointments.

    Now you know how the dentist or doctor feel when you don't show up........kind of puts a whole new spin on things. (not that you were ever a no show)

    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, no shows are very frustrating. They cost you time and $. I feel for you, girl!

    ReplyDelete