Friday, August 24, 2007

What should I make of this?

I am trying not so be upset about this email, but I really don't know how to take it. This gal is a student of mine, but she is not really studying English. Her text is a book called the "Purpose Driven Life". It is a Christian book and her last teacher was a much more knowledgeable Christian than I am.

I'm writing this mail because I have been thinking about one thing since our 1st lesson.

You might be upset or find offense with this mail. If so, I'm very sorry.

But I think it's better for us to ask you if our lesson continues.

I had taken Phyllis lesson over 1years. I enjoyed it very much. Yes, she is a extremely great person. My Japanese friend, Miyuki Smith, who gets married with American in Base agrees too. I give her high marks for her diligence. Even though she knows bible very much, she always prepared and studied next chapter, that I respect her.

Lori, I want to ask you to reduce my lesson fee, or increase my lesson time.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm... the language barrier may have made the e-mail come out differently from what she meant. I think I'd let her know (in person), that you're glad she was so happy with Phyllis and it seems she may not be so with you. If so, what's the reason and how can it be amended?

    Situations like that are so uncomfortable, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strange....at first I thought maybe you weren't quite Christian enough for her. You are an English teacher not a Bible Scholar. Right.
    Tracy could be right about a misunderstanding in the email, but I have a feeling she wants more Bible Study, if you can't give it to her see if you can find someone who can and go on to someone else.

    Then again maybe she is just trying to get a smaller fee or more time, otherwords she doesn't want to pay the going rate, and is hoping you are student hungry.
    Don't be upset, this has nothing to do with you, as always it is just a difference of opinion, and what people want. She can't expect you to be a clone of Phyllis, maybe that's the problem.
    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good advice!
    I think I would say to her, with a humble attitude, "I'm sorry I'm not the same kind of teacher as Phyllis. What can I do to improve our lesson time for you? I can't reduce the lesson fee.

    ReplyDelete